Gamo Hornet Air Rifle Review || Honest Review of Hornet Air Rifle
Do you know what your air rifle states about you? They state the characteristics of you as a shooter. So you need to be very careful about choosing an air rifle. But there is a common thing here whether you are an authority, a focused shooter or a tracker, one thing will be sure—you need a weapon that will fulfill your demand of shooting and Gamo conveys only that with the Gamo Hornet Air Rifle.
The Gamo Company is renowned for making quality rifles, guns and shooting accessories. And this Gamo Hornet is one of their top products. With the right ammunition, this rifle can produce excellent power to hit the targets properly.
Gamo Hornet is known as the entry-level air rifle with accurate target hitting capacity. Also, the performance that comes with the powerful Hornet of this Gamo guns safe makes it very popular items for the hunters.
- 1 Gun Type
- 2 Specification of the Gamo Hornet Air Rifle
- 3 Gamo’s IGT or Inert Gas Technology
- 4 Ammo
- 5 Accurate Sight and Shooting with the 4×32 Scope
- 6 Stock
- 7 Lightweight
- 8 Velocity
- 9 Accuracy
- 10 Power
- 11 Durability
- 12 Ease of Use
- 13 Safety and Reliability of Gamo Hornet
- 14 How to operate the air rifle?
- 15 Noise Level
- 16 Shooting Range and Intended Use
- 17 Maintenance
- 18 Pros
- 19 Cons
- 20 Warning
- 21 Warranty
- 22 Price
- 23 Why do you need to choose Gamo Hornet Air Rifle for you?
- 24 Customers Reviews
- 25 Conclusion
The Gamo Hornet is a spring-piston based and single-shot using, break barrel air rifle. In the spring-piston air rifle, there is a cylinder and a coiled spring inside the chamber. When you cock the gun, the spring is packed. Then when you pull the trigger, you make the spring decompressed so it makes the cylinder push ahead. The cylinder development makes the air compacted and the pellet is moved out of the muzzle because of the power from pressurized air. The majority of this occurs in a matter of seconds. This spring-piston air-rifles are the simplest air-rifles to shoot keep up and possess.
The gun is easy enough to cock and requires less or more than 30 lbs. to cock it. The right position can make you all day and you can cock your rifle and shooting it for the whole day without straining your wrists.
It has the steel barrel that is covered with fluted polymer and helps to focus on your target. Also, the two-stage adjustable trigger helps to smooth action pull whereas the newest version of Gamo Hornet Maxxim uses the CAT (Custom Action Trigger) to independently adjust the 1st and 2nd stages. Also the SWA (Shock Wave Absorber) the recoil pad with rubber used to inserts design to absorb the recoil.
Specification of the Gamo Hornet Air Rifle
- The Gamo Hornet Air Rifle comes with the .177 caliber but the newest version of The Gamo Hornet Maxxim has the .22 caliber also
- The ammo source is pellets
- The Gamo Hornet Maxxim comes with the IGT (Inert Gas Technology)
- It offers the Whisper MAXXIM noise dampening technology
- It can deliver the velocity up to 1300 fps in .177 caliber with PBA platinum and 975 fps in .22 caliber
- The muzzle energy is counted up to 17.27 ft/lbs. for .177 cal
- The loudness is counted 3-medium for the rifle
- The barrel length of the rifle is 18.0 inches
- The overall length of the rifle is 43.3 inches
- The overall weight is 6.1 lbs.
- It has no front sight
- It has no rear sight
- It has the two-stage adjustable trigger
- The trigger uses CAT (Custom Action Trigger)
- It has 11 mm scope able dovetail
- It has the ventilated rubber buttplate
- The rifle uses all-weather gray ambidextrous synthetic stock
- The cocking effort is 30 lbs.
- The trigger pull is about 3.74 lbs.
- It also comes with the 3-90*40 air rifle scope with RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail)
- It has the cocking automatic system
- It is a break barrel air rifle
- The barrel is rifled
- It is a single-shot rifle
- The shot capacity is 1
- It uses the spring-piston power plant
- It has the manual safety
- This rifle is suggested for small game hunting, plinking
- It has the 3- year limited warranty and is made of Spain
Gamo’s IGT or Inert Gas Technology
Gamo Hornet Maxxim, the latest version of the Gamo Hornet use IGT technology. It is a gas-piston air rifle coming with the latest inert gas technology. Gamo IGT System (Inert Gas Technology) is the pressure technique for the pneumatic and sealed air rifle that replaces the customary spring with a gas piston. The appearance and use are equivalent to Gamo high-control compressed air rifles. These rifles are triggered by a gas piston. Compression spring is not used here. These rifles give a different firing sensation with smooth firing cycle and less vibration. It can give an experience of smooth shooting with plenty of power and no buzz, twisting or twang. Moreover, it won’t lose power in the cold water.
The rifle comes with the pellets for the source of ammunition. It comes with both the .177 caliber and .22 calibers. This R]rifle uses PBA platinum and this can enhance non-lead alloy to generate velocities up to 30% faster than most lead pellets. According to that, it can fire at 1300 fps velocity with PBA, though reducing a smaller with 1000 fps when using the .177 lead bullets. This air rifle provides you with incredible firepower with higher velocity. This excellent velocity speed will enhance your shooting performance drastically.
Undoubtedly, the mounts and PBA platinum will enhance your experience about hunting with an air rifle. This high-powered air rifle is best for adult and ideal for plinking, pest control, and small game hunting.
Accurate Sight and Shooting with the 4×32 Scope
This Gamo Hornet Air Rifle is designed to provide proper sight and accuracy. If you are looking for an accurate rifle for pest targeting, then you will be pretty amazed at the performance of the Gamo Hornet hunting.
Though this is a pretty good sight for 32mm diameter; you can have better sight in the Gamo, cat model. Comparing the Gamo Hornet vs big cat, the big cat model has slightly better sight features.
However, the fixed 4×32 Scope is simple and easy to lock any target. So, if you are looking to have proper sight of the birds, then you can easily choose the Gamo Hornet Air Rifle.
It uses the all-weather synthetic stock. That endures recoil and other shocks. Also, it is tough and keeps going along with lesser consideration. The ambidextrous feature helps both the left-handed and right-handed users for having a smooth shooting.
Slipping isn’t an issue with this air rifle since it has a non-slip surface on the grip and lower arm so you can hold the rifle solidly. This implies simply taking care of and shooting.
To ensure comfort and exact dealing with, it has twin cheek pads. The butt plate has ventilated elastic cushion which helps to decrease the effect of force. This enables you to quick shooting and gets ready for the next one.
This Gamo Hornet is a lightweight air rifle. The overall weight of the rifle is around 6.1 lbs. It can be conveyed easily without using a sling. Also, the trigger pull is around 3.75 pounds that is easy for carrying. The cocking effort is 30 pounds here. So for that, this airgun is anything but difficult to utilize
You will love the power and speed of the Gamo Hornet .177 caliber air rifle. This rifle can provide a velocity of 1300 fps with PBA Raptor pellets. With the lead pellet, the velocity is decent with 1000 fps. Also with the .22 pellets, it provides 975 fps velocity.
This velocity makes the rifle very powerful for hunting small and also large pests. It is better than another excellent rifle. So, you can have a perfect performance with both lead and PBA Raptor ammunition.
Accuracy is essential in the shooting. If you want to get the maximum accuracy, we prescribe you to use pellets between 9 to 10.5 grains in this air rifle.
If you are not very anxious to take the shot and spotlight on your objective before pulling the trigger, you will see your pellets hitting that equivalent spot in each shot you take. Again by simply shot constantly without pointing or concentrating on your objective, your target will be influenced.
This rifle is a powerful one. With this Gamo rifle pulling the trigger needs some power. The 30 pounds of torque may need some strength of the hunters to pull the trigger of this air rifle. But, it is safe to say that the required power is not much for most of the hunters.
This Gamo Hornet air rifle is made of hard fluted polymer covered steel barrel. So, the heavy-duty materials make this rifle sturdy enough to endure immense pressure. Though the barrel of this rifle isn’t made with thick solid steel, you will be amazed at the heaviness of it.
I love the built quality of this rifle. Although, the lightweight of this model can make you confuse, actually the construction is solid and made to provide reliable performance.
So, hunting with this air rifle will be safer with more reliable, built quality with a lack of danger of incidence. Also, the plastic stocks that are used in manufacturing this excellent air rifle are very strong. This sturdiness makes this air rifle very long-lasting.
Ease of Use
If you are planning on long hunting, then comfort is one of the key aspects. Without comfort, you cannot continue proper concentration during shooting. The Gamo Hornet Air Rifle comes with the proper comfort with the soft but plate. This but plate is designed in a way that gives cushioned feelings and impact while pulling the trigger.
This softness comes with the rubber pad construction of the plate. Also, the manufacturer makes sure to make it with a very lightweight. So, carrying it for a long time is not an issue. Moreover, the lightweight makes it easier to target any pests in a more comfortable position with this best Gamo air rifle.
Safety and Reliability of Gamo Hornet
Air rifle is much more than a playing tool for the kids. It’s a powerful tool that has enough explosive power. So, you need a safety.
As we have discussed earlier in this Gamo Hornet Air Rifle Review, using this rifle is safe. It’s because of the excellent built components and quality of this gun. The manufacturer makes sure the rifle doesn’t create any incidents. So, it is packed with high-quality materials.
The rifle is very reliable. You can use it for medium-range target shooting. The scope and sight of the rifle provide excellent performance in hitting the target with accuracy.
The grip and forearm are coated with non-slippery texture. So, you can hold the rifle firmly. This non-slippery coat of the rifle makes hitting the targets unchanged after the shock of shooting. Also, the rifle provides quality service after lots of usages.
How to operate the air rifle?
The operating system of Gamo Hornet is very easy. The loading and cocking procedure is easy for a shooter to aim at the target. All you need to follow the steps for having a smooth and better shooting-
For having a smooth shooting at first you need to hold the stock and barrel. Then you need to break the barrel and swivel the barrel towards the stock. Now you are ready to place the pellet. The direction of the tip is needed to be forwarded and the skirt direction should be facing you. Next, you can return the barrel to its original position. Finally, you are fully prepared for your aim!!!!!!!!
The Gamo Hornet is a quiet air rifle. The GAMO Hornet Maxxim uses Whisper Maxxim Sound Suppression technology. That provides noise dampening chambers encased in a fluted shroud surrounding the rifled steel barrel. A lot of noise delivered by break barrels and originates from the spring-piston air rifle. This design can quiet down the noise level through this technology. This air rifle is, therefore, backyard friendly. It is also popular among the shooters worldwide for this amazing feature. When the noise level is low you can practice for hours without disturbing others and feeling any hesitation.
Shooting Range and Intended Use
The ideal shooting range of the rifle is 30 to 40 yards. Within this range, this is the best air rifle for small game hunting, plinking. By using the air rifle you can easily remove the pests of your backyards.
For maintaining the rifle you don’t need to work hard. Before cleaning the rifle verifies that it is unloaded and the safety is on.
To clean the rifle barrel, constantly open the barrel similarly as when loading it.
For making it long-lasting use the suitable caliber cleaning rod, rod tip, fixes, and bore brush with weapon solvent and oil to clean your rifle.
Never use lubricant oil in the barrel. It is useful if you use occasionally a modest quantity of GAMO oil to the barrel rotates, the two positioning switch turns, and the trigger rotates.
Try to clean the outside metal parts with oil to keep them from rusting.
But never put any oil inside the barrel or the chamber.
- Comes with excellent power with 1300 and 1000 fps for PBA and Lead
- Made of high-quality material to provide services for a long time
- Has a very lightweight design to carry the rifle and aim targets easily
- It has a high penetration power
- It comes with a decent power with high accuracy
- It is easy to use and cock
- Comes with the solid construction
- It uses the noise reduction system
- It has an effective rifled and fluted barrel
- Has non-slippery texture on the grip to hold the rifle firmly
- Comes with a relatively low price despite its high quality
- The 4×32 Scope of Gamo is easy to lock medium-range targets
- The rifle uses the synthetic stock for all-weather usage
- Works with PBA pellets, which are little expensive
- Doesn’t provide perfect sight on 40 yards with the scope
- The gun should be operated under skill adult supervision to stop any accidental incident.
- For loading, the pellets never depend on any stacking pointer or security system. Continuously treat your air rifle as though it was loaded.
- The safety must be on until you are ready to shoot
- Before storing the rifle make sure that it is unloaded and the safety button is on.
- To prevent unauthorized access lock your air gun in a safe place.
- Be very clear about your target and what lies beyond. Then aim in a safe direction.
- Safety glasses should be worn by the people who are nearby a shooter or intended to shoot
- Always use hearing protection for safety purpose
- All the people near a shooter need to stay behind the shooter
- Before storing the rifle make sure that it is unloaded and the safety button is on.
- Avoid the use of drugs or alcohol while handling this product
- Under 16 people are not permitted to use this air rifle
This product can expose chemicals like lead which is threatened for cancer, birth defects and harm to the reproductive system. So use it carefully and in a safe position.
It provides 3-year limited warranty after the date of purchase. For qualifying the warranty program, the original receipt of your purchase will be needed. Also, if any defects in material or workmanship are found then it is replaceable. For replacement defected parts and labor this warranty program will be worked. So the original receipt of your purchase is needed to qualify for this warranty program. That’s why you need to keep the receipt carefully for further use in future.
It is a price worthy product with a price tag of $140. If you compare its quality with the price you’ll be amazed to have a rifle that will perform like an expensive air rifle.
Why do you need to choose Gamo Hornet Air Rifle for you?
If you go through the reviews you’ll find some specific reasons for choosing the air rifle-
- The performance of the rifle is outstanding. The velocity, accuracy, and hard-hitting nature all these are quite impressive for a user.
- The Noise Reducing System helps the users to shoot relentlessly.
- According to the features and design, it is cheap.
- The lightweight design helps it to carry and aim the target easily
- The rifle is made of high-quality material to provide services for a long time
- It uses the non-slippery texture on the grip to hold the rifle firmly and it helps to go through the target.
This Gamo Hornet air rifle has huge reviews on different sites. People love the product as it satisfies them. It comes with a lot of positive reviews. Most of them are for their amazing accuracy and velocity. Also the Noise Reducing System, IGT technology attracts the user. Along with these, the lightweight design helps the users most to carry and to shoot easily. Besides these, the negative reviews have come for its mounting mechanism and sights which is possible to improve.
If you are expecting to appreciate what you buy, then your every purchase need to be based on a thorough assessment. This Gamo Hornet can fulfill the monetary, functional and stylish requests of the clients. So if you purchase this one for you, you’ll not be disappointed for sure.